At the beginning of the semester I expected more grammar and mechanics but then I realize that, that is not the purpose of the class. English 1102 offers an aspect of writing that I usually do not put a lot emphasis of importance on. The main objectives of 1102 is to think critically when analyzing other peoples writing. Along with thinking, but to also accurately interpreting the goals of other writers and responding or adding to whatever point they are making. I thought this aspect of writing wasn't important because I though I had a good handle on reading and interpreting other peoples work but I was faced with a new challenge when I had to analyze multiple works on the same topic. Being able to accurately understand the goal of what an author is saying is difficult because each writer has different techniques. This is a challenge especially when a writer do not explicit make their points.
I discovered from the argument essay that I need to work on elaborating and making my points more clear. I did not know this was an issue before but after thinking about it I do realize I am making this mistake. This is because I focus so much on the creative aspects of writing of making inferences and making the reader come to the conclusion on their own but this not a tool that should be used in academic writing. The new realization of this issue may not immediately be seen in my writing but I am aware of it and will continue to work on it.
I don't understand the point of a peer review. I know it gives students the opportunity to look at other student work and critique it but the peer review process do not have any feed back. I have done peer review senior year in high school and last semester in English 1101 but I never got a feed back on if I’m doing it right. The student who review my work usually provides a lot of feed back and I usually give the bare minimum. It is not because I don’t want to provide a multitude of comments to help a student out but it is because I don’t know what I’m looking for. Usually I just answer the question that is provided in the check list of a peer view critique. I don’t know how to improve on this process but I would like to do a better job at peer reviewing so I can give students solid sound feed back the next time I should participate in peer review.
No comments:
Post a Comment