Thursday, January 12, 2012

The Pen Vs the Sword

I was always unsettled with the saying “the pen is mightier than the sword”.  I know it is not a literal statement, even though  many times I had imagine two warriors battling to the death;  one equipt with a sword, the other with a pen and for some reason the warrior with the pen came out victorious.  I then would imagine him standing over his oponent with his pen to the heavens screaming at the top of his voice "the pen is mightier than the sword!".  In a more serious note, I thought of all that has come from the edge of a blade-both good and bad-and wonder if those who have ever heard the saying give any thought to the might of the sword.                                                                                                                                                                                                                    
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 At the same time I didn't want to take anything away from the saying because it was very powerful, but I felt it was lacking something, then it came to me.  I believe the statement needs to be revised and be written as “the pen is mightier than the sword only if it has a good writer”.  I was much more comfortable with such a statement.  The statement was no longer lacking, it was now complete.  I also believe this revision gave it more power.  The revision create a distinction between good writing and bad writing, and that the good writing is what that is able to destroy the symbolism of the sword.

With that said, I’m in English 102 with hopes of improving on the basic fundamentals of writing and also become more comfortable with writing.  It’s one thing to have brilliant ideas, insightful thoughts and outlooks, but it is very frustrating being unable to formulate them in words or distract potential readers with grammatical errors and poor organization.  I understand that it is important to create a proper foundation in any craft, if one has any aim at becoming a master.  I am taking English 102 with hopes to create a sturdy foundation in writing so I can later express my ideas in any and all style of writing.  At the end of the semester I hoping to accomplish this by improving on my grammar and mechanics so my pen can be mightier than the sword.

No comments:

Post a Comment